Wednesday, September 27, 2006

worship

Ok, so it's not exactlly Romans, but tonight's talk on worship did prod my thinking a little.

What is worship? Can we define it to one particular thing action, thought process, etc? I know I hear people always say, "Let's invite the Spirit of God to come into this place." Huh? If you've got at least two people who believe in Christ in a group, the Spirit's already there (Matthew 18:20). So what exactly are we doing? Like Art pointed out tonight, there's nothing we can say nor do nor give to change God, influence him, or make him feel better about us. He's got everything already (the cattle on a thousand hills, right?). So my big question is what are we doing during "worship"? And if it's not singing 'Delirious?' songs, what is worship?

Semantically, worship is defined as reverant love (mostly for a deity) and daily devotion. So, is worship just my feelings toward God? And reading my Bible and praying?

Statistically, the word 'worship' is mentioned 108 times in the King James Version in 102 separate verses. Analyzing them, I referenced the verses to see exactly what 'worship' really is and what characters in the Bible (both human and non-human) do when they worship. Unfortunately, the Bible doesn't give clear-cut and precise definition of what worship involves.

However, in many verses, the word 'serve' (or one of it's variants) appears in the same verse as the word 'worship'. Several verses (Deuteronomy 4:19, 1 Kings 9:6) mention Israel sinning by bowing down to and serving other gods beside JEHOVAH and worshiping these other [pagan] gods with service. Matthew 4:10 ("Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and Him only shalt thou serve.") makes mention of the same idea. An idea of worshiping God (or anything else) is conveyed through service for Him (or that other thing).

Practical example: we love our parents, and we want them to know it. We do little things for them (taking out the trash, washing dishes, vacuuming), not because we have to, but because we want to show our devotion to them. Ok, maybe it wasn't the greatest example, but it conveys the idea. We worship God through our actions. (James 2:17-20 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works. Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?")

Probably one of the most challenging quotes for me is this: "Preach the Gospel at all times, and, when necessary, use words." [St. Francis of Assisi]. I screw this up everyday. On the ride to school, in class, waiting in line for lunch, etc. There's such a better job I could do being a "little Christ."

So from all this, my observation is that worship is so much more than just three or four songs we sing on Sundays. Worship is a lifestyle. A dedication to something that we believe is worth dedicating our lives to. It's more than just singing a song to God telling Him how great He is. It's dedication to His calling for us, and devotion to Him that's more than just fifteen to twenty minutes one night a week.

Two verses: 1 Corinthians 6:20 "For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's." and 1 Corinthians 10:31 "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God." This is about the best that I can do to wrap my mind around worship. It's loving God, it's devoting our time and actions to God. It's being Jesus to the world, so they see our lights, and want it.

Maybe I'm way off on what worship really is, but this is what God's showing to me.

No comments: